Case Study – Randstad Work Solutions
Cloud Solutions Group successfully migrates Randstad’s 7.4 million files across Asia Pacific to Google Drive
Reduced operational complexity.
Rapid access to shared files.
Immediate cost savings.
Improved user experience
Increased scalability and agility
Removed reliance on legacy technology.
Enhanced data resiliency
Google Drive for Enterprise
Cloud M Migration Tool
Citrix upgrade - Xendesktop 7.15
Randstad is a Global Recruitment Firm with headquarters in the Netherlands and employs over 38,000 staff in 39 countries across the Globe. Randstad’s mission is “shaping the world of work” and they are passionate about matching the best people with the best companies in order to develop their potential.
Randstad has a Cloud First strategy. As part of this strategy Randstad was in the process of moving to Google Apps for all their office and collaboration applications. The Asia Pacific firm had already migrated all their on-premises infrastructure to the Amazon AWS Cloud Platform with traditional Windows File servers on Virtual Machines in AWS. End Users accessed files and some of their applications via Citrix Virtual Desktops.
This had significant cost implications given the monthly compute and storage costs in AWS ,as well as significant annual Citrix and Microsoft licensing costs to keep this running and the management overhead of securing and protecting this data. In light of global Google Enterprise license agreement and the near Unlimited storage given to Google Enterprise clients in Google Drive the path forward was clear.
An additional factor was the advent of COVID-19 with most staff working from home, it was inefficient to have staff all remote in to the Files via Citrix to AWS. Giving users secure access to an unlimited Google Drive in the Google Cloud is a far more efficient and cost effective solution.
There were several significant challenges associated with this migration including ; the secure transfer of data from AWS to Google and the Google API limiting data transfer rates. However the biggest challenge was the end user experience change required from accessing files in a traditional Windows File Server folder structure, to a more modern cloud experience of the File Sync and Share Google Drive.
Randstad engaged Cloud Solutions Group to help them to deliver this project.
Secure transfer from AWS to Google
· Dealing with 35 departments with different requirements across Asia Pacific
· Large volumes of files (7.4 million) and Folders (1.07 million)
· The Google API rate limiting data ingestion impacting data transfer success rates
· Change Management for the End Users in the new way of accessing, storing and sharing information.
35 Departments across AU/NZ/SEA (and Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore)
7.4 million Files in AWS IaaS
1.07 million Folders
Enable secure remote working
Significant cost reductions
The first step in our process was to do an in depth analysis of the existing file servers to understand; permissions, age of the data, frequency of access, file structures and topologies, security requirements, individual departmental requirements and user personas.
Cloud Solutions Group then collaborated with the Randstad technical and Change Management teams to workshop the requirements for security, file structures and workflows in a Google Drive context.
It was agreed that Cloud M would be the tool utilised to seamlessly deliver the migration and Cloud Solutions Group designed and instansiated the AWS Infrastructure required to host the Cloud M tool and manage the migration.
Following a staged approach and working with the Randstad Change Management Team the data was successfully migrated department by department ensuring a seamless transition for the users.
Andrew Hehir Randstad’s Asia Pac CIO said “We engaged Cloud Solutions Group for this project due to their expertise in large file migrations, and history of delivering similar projects. The capability and customer orientation of the Cloud Solutions Group team ensured a successful and efficient outcome to the project allowing Randstad to realise the benefits immediately”.
The Solution Delivered:
· Google Drive for Enterprise with Unlimited storage delivering significant, server, storage and licensing savings as well as enhanced collaboration and mobilty for end users.
· Cloud M Migration Tool with Infrastructure built on AWS.
The Cloud Solutions Group USP:
· Our extensive expertise in delivering any to any file migrations to the cloud.
· Our AWS experience used in designing and building the required AWS infrastructure.
· Our knowledge of Windows File Servers, Group Policy, Active Diectory and Security.
· Our ability to help with end user change management and assist with the design of file structures so it was a seamless experience.
· Our expertise in implementing and managing Cloud M to deliver a successful outcome for Randstad.