Case Study – Cancer Screening Organisation Edge Refresh
Cloud Solutions Group with Dell and VMware delivers an Edge computing Solution for PACS data
Cancer Screening Organisation (CSO) is a charity providing free cancer screening and assessment services across Victoria.
Cancer Screening Organisation provides free screening to eligible clients over the age of 40 years. CSO actively invites eligible clients between the ages of 50 and 74 years to screen. In 2018/19, CSO screened over 265,000 women and aims to increase screening by 3% annually.
Screening is offered by 42 fixed and 2 mobile screening services located across Victoria. Each screening site is linked to one (1) of eight (8) Reading and Assessment Services (RAS), including four (4) metropolitan Melbourne and four (4) in regional Victoria.
The RAS deliver clinical services including reading and further tests to perform required additional assessment to ascertain the possibility of cancer detection.
We spent a considerable amount of time consulting with the client to understand their data growth patterns and the impact that new 3D imaging technologies would have on their business, data growth and performance requirements. The process we undertook was:
- A series of workshops with various business units to understand the organisational strategy, as well as the planned adoption of new imaging technologies over the next 3-5 years.
- An options analysis of the relevant available solutions in the market and a recommended Solution Architecture to address the needs of the business. .
- Sourcing, Detailed Design & Implementation of the solution with the client.
The Solution Delivered:
The solution provided many improvements over their existing architecture:
A Hyperconverged solution with VMware vSAN
Moving away from a traditional Server, SAN model, to a 2 Node VMware vSAN Remote Office Branch Office solution (ROBO). This decreased the rack space and power requirements by over 50%.
Reduced complexity with policy-based management
vSAN is integrated into the VMware vSphere hypervisor allowing for a simple integrated management and deployment experience via vCenter. Unlike traditional storage arrays, vSAN also allows you to define policies at a Virtual Machine and vDisk layer providing granular management capabilities.
Improved end user experience and data throughput with enhanced performance and scalability
This was achieved using new Dell r7515 Servers and All Flash storage at each location. As CCO was increasing the use of 3D imaging, the use of all flash storage has had a very positive experience for staff and patients by reducing the amount of time it tasks to carry out the assessment.
Backup and Disaster Recovery built in
Deploying backup and Disaster Recovery utilising vSphere snapshots and replication to CSO’s Datacentres is policy based and simplified with vSAN and vCenter.
We reduced the Cost of the solution by over 50% by moving to a Hyperconverged solution.
· New Dell R7515 servers with All Flash storage at each of the 8 RAS sites.
· Backup and Disaster Recovery replication utilising VMware Snapshots and vSphere replication.
· vSAN ROBO 7.0.
Immediate cost savings
· Increased scalability and agility
· Removed reliance on legacy technology
· Reduced operational complexity
· Improved user experience and performance
· Enhanced data resiliency
The Relevant Cloud Solutions Group Unique Service Proposition For This Project:
· We are vendor-agnostic- we delivered the right fit solution for the client, as opposed to the standard vendors.
· We leaders in technology solutions for health organisations
· We have over 10 years of industry experience with Health Organisations and PACS storage solutions.